Pot roast is a delicious and healthy comfort food that is easy to make in a slow cooker. It is the perfect winter meal that allows you to sit back, drink some red wine, watch the snow fall, while it cooks for you and infuses your home with a delicious scent. Below is my recipe:
- 3-5 lb chuck roast
- 2 whole onions
- 2 tablespoons of virgin olive oil, more for cooking chuck roast
- 7 whole carrots, peeled and halved
- 2 cups of beef stock
- 1 cup of warm water
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound of potatoes, quartered
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in same skillet over high. Cook roast, turning occasionally, until golden brown on all sides, 10–12 minutes.
- Pour warm water, beef stock, and olive oil into the slow cooker.
- Transfer the chuck roast into the slow cooker. Add onions, carrots, potatoes and all three herbs.
- Add salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce on top of mixture. Place lid on top.
- Cook on high for 7 hours. The slow cooker should automatically switch to its warm setting after it is done cooking. Serve right away and refrigerate leftovers.