Spread the love
This holiday season is the perfect time to bake gingerbread cookies. They are a delightful treat to enjoy yourself or share with others. I follow Martha Stewart’s gingerbread cookie recipe.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 large egg
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, spices, baking soda, and salt; set aside. With a KitchnAid or electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in molasses and egg. With mixer on low, add dry ingredients; mix just until a dough forms. Place dough in a floured plastic wrap; pat into an 8 inch square. Wrap well and chill until firm, 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Divide dough in half. Working with one half at a time (rewrap and refrigerate other half), place dough on floured parchment or waxed paper; roll out 1/8 inch thick, turning lifting, and flouring dough (and rolling pin) as needed. Freeze dough (on paper) until firm, about 20 minutes.
- Loosen dough from paper. Cut out shapes, and transfer to baking sheets. Decorate with sugar or sprinkles, as desired.