Spread the love
This recipe makes the most delicious chocolate cherry rye cookies. They are gooey and fudgey and fulfill just about every chocolate craving. The recipe is from Displaced Housewife. Enjoy xo
- 8 oz of coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 3/4 packed brown sugar
- 3/4 granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup dark rye flour (or whole wheat flour as a substitute)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups dried whole tart cherries
- Melt the 8 ounces of chocolate and olive oil in the microwave (in 30 second increments on High). Stir the chocolate to get rid of chunks. Stir about 20 Times with wooden spoon to get rid of chocolate chunks without overheating it. Let cool slightly and then whisk in eggs, brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla extract. Then pour this mixture into KitchenAid bowl to prepare for combining.
- In another bowl whisk together the rye flour, bread flour, all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, sea salt, baking powder and baking soda. Pour the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture and give a couple of stirs until the dough is just starting to come together. Add the cherries and mix until just barely combined. Lay some plastic wrap on the counter, dump the dough on top and wrap tightly. Chill the cookie dough for 20-30 minutes in the fridge.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F, place a rack in the top third of your oven (this is where you’ll bake your cookies) and line your baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat.
- Gently roll 1 tablespoon of dough into a ball and place on the cookie sheet allowing about two inches between each dough ball. Bake for 9 minutes. It is ideal to slightly under bake these cookies. Allow the cookies to cool on the sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.